One of my blogger friends (Laura) from "Our Crazy Adventure" asked for my Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe. So here it goes...
Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
- 1 pkg. (2-layer size) of Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) JELL-O Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Butter or margarine, softened
- 1 pkg. (16 oz.) Powdered Sugar (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup thawed Cool Whip whipped topping
Prepare cake batter and bake as directed on package for 24 cupcakes, blending dry pudding mix into batter before spooning into muffin cups. Let them cool.
After cupcakes are cooled, put a hole in the center of each cupcake.
Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and butter into large bowl with mixer until blended.
Beat in powdered sugar.
Whisk in cool whip.
Spoon 1 1/2 cup into a plastic bag. Seal bag; cut 1 small corner off bottom of bag.
Use to squeeze 1 tbsp. cream cheese frosting into center of each cupcake.
Frost cupcakes with remaining frosting. (Keep refrigerated)
Another Option for icing:
Buy a tub of cream cheese frosting, and spoon some in a plastic bag. Seal bag; cut 1 small corner off bottom of bag. Use to squeeze frosting into center of each cupcake.
The cons to making your own cream cheese frosting is you have to keep the cupcakes refrigerated or the icing goes everywhere. The only other option is to use more powdered sugar than recipe specifies to get thicker icing.
Filling ideas for inside of cupcakes:
Vanilla Pudding or Cream Cheese
Red Velvet Truffles
- 1 box of Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 container of Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 package of White Chocolate Bark
Bake Red Velvet Cake Mix as directed on box.
Crumble cake into bowl and add cream cheese icing.
Place in fridge to cool.
Melt White Chocolate.
Roll Red Velvet Cake Mix into balls and dip in chocolate
Place on wax paper and Refrigerate